If you are looking to bulk up and build strong muscles, you need to make sure your diet provides you with the right amount of protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient for muscle growth and repair but getting the right amount can be tricky if you don’t have a good plan in place. Here are 13 tips and tricks to help you increase your protein intake so you can get all the benefits of this important nutrient.
1. Eat Lean Meat And Fish Regularly – Not only is lean meat and fish packed with protein, but they also provide essential essential fatty acids and other important micronutrients like iron, zinc and selenium. Try to incorporate lean cuts of organic, pasture-raised beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and fish into your meals at least a few times a week.
2. Get Protein From Plant-Based Sources – Not all proteins have to come from animals. Plant-based proteins have many of the same benefits and can offer an excellent alternative to animal products. Try incorporating tofu, lentils, legumes, seitan and quinoa into your diet for the same protein boost without all the fat and cholesterol.
3. Add Protein Powder To Your Smoothies – Another easy way to get an extra boost of protein is by adding a high-quality protein powder to your smoothies. Look for a protein powder that is made with plant-based ingredients and free of added sugars and fillers to get the most out of your shake.
4. Look For Dairy Alternatives – Most dairy products are highly concentrated sources of protein but if you are looking for a dairy alternative that still packs a protein punch you should look for products that are made with plant-based ingredients like almond and coconut milk.
5. Opt For Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a great option to get an extra boost of protein in your diet. Stick to the plain Greek yogurt rather than the flavored varieties as the flavored varieties often contain added sugars.
6. Make High-Protein Snacks – If you find yourself snacking throughout the day, make sure you are munching on snacks that are high in protein like a handful of almonds, a boiled egg, hummus with veggies, or Greek yogurt with fruit.
7. Eat Eggs For Breakfast – Eggs are a great source of protein and are easy to incorporate into meals. Whether you like them boiled, scrambled, or fried, eggs can easily be the highlight of your breakfast.
8. Incorporate Nuts And Seeds In Your Diet – Nuts and seeds are some of the best sources of protein and fatty acids. Sprinkle them on salads, add them to oatmeal, or eat them as a snack.
9. Add Protein To Your Salads – Salad is one of the easiest meals to prepare and by adding a few sources of protein like chicken, tuna, beans, or eggs, you’ll be able to transform a humble salad into a protein-packed meal.
10. Include Protein Sources In Every Meal And Snack – A healthy diet should include a source of protein in every meal. Try combining a source of lean protein with a source of healthy fatty acids like nuts and seeds or adding a hard-boiled egg to your lunch.
11. Try High-Protein Snack Bars – If you find yourself in need of an on-the-go snack, look for protein bars that are made with natural ingredients and provide an extra boost of protein.
12. Include Healthy Fats – Healthy fat sources like olive oil, avocados, and nuts are excellent sources of essential fatty acids and can provide your body with an extra boost of protein.
13. Try Adding Sprouted Grains – Sprouted grains like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat are high in protein and can easily be added to salads, soups, and stir-fries for an extra boost of protein.
By taking the time to plan out your meals and snacks you can easily add more protein to your diet. Incorporating the tips above can help ensure you are getting the most out of every meal.